RAM question for everyone!

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Jan 23 16:22:39 UTC 2009

Hi there --

One question that needs to be answered is whether or not the operating system in
question is 32-bit or 64-bit architecture.

The 32-bit architecture has a 'glass
ceiling' limit of up to 4 gigabytes of RAM that it can access. The same is not
true for 64-bit architecture. Once you have the answer to the above, you can
make
a better decision on the RAM package.

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Dan Track
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 10:43 AM
To: Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: RAM question for everyone!

I was recently asked a question about how much RAM should there be
within a server given that the APP uses 8GB of Memory, should I buy
10Gig of memory and have a small harddrive and no swap space? Would
this configuration allow everything in my OS to run from RAM and not
from swap? If this is the case then there's no need to ever create
swap, is there?!?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Dan