RAM question for everyone!

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 16:46:45 UTC 2009

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Yeah, but this problem can more-or-less be avoided by
> lowering /proc/sys/vm/swappiness.

Sure, that will make the VM more likely to evict pagecache data than
anonymous pages when it's trying to free pages.

I haven't tested this to any real degree on my desktop boxes (as I
don't really suffer too much from this with the setups that I run),
does it give a significant benefit for this case?

I can imagine it would given that systems where I have seen problems
like this have tended to seem a bit cache-heavy, but testing results
are always good to hear.

Regards,
Bryn.