SataRaid and Installation

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jan 23 19:37:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:41:11 -0700,
  Chris Linville <cuco76 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I got to say that I have been greatly disappointed by Fedora for the last 2 releases.  I have a rockin system.  I can play any game out there, I love.  I just can't install Fedora with out sacrificing my system speed.  For 2 releases dmraid has been broken.  The fix is for me to stop using Sata RAID0.  This is not a good fix, my disk IO doubles by having this.  I have seen posts all over the boards and bugzilla relating to various problems in DMRaid.  Yet for 2 releases, it has stayed broken.  To me this is a show stopper when you can't even install an OS.

If you aren't dual booting windows switch to using software raid. Unless you
are using a high end raid controller wuith battery backed cache there isn't
much benefit from using hardware raid and there are some downsides.

If you are dual booting windows (using the same disks) this won't be an
option for you.