Amazon Kindle and Fedora

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 23 23:33:02 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:

>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> If you want to give it more of a test, go to Baen Free Library and
>>> download some books in the Kindle format. They have a fair sample of
>>> free books. They are complete books, but about half are the first
>>> book in a series, to get you hooked on the author's work. (If you
>>> liked the first one, and want more of the same.)
>>>
>>> They offer the same book in more then one format. So if you like the
>>> book, but don't like reading it on the Kindle, you can read it on
>>> other devices. If all else fails, you can always download the HTML
>>> version. Best of all - no DRM!
>>>
>>> http://www.baen.com/library
>>>
>>> Mobibook offers free software that will create books in their format
>>> - from what I understand, they will work in the Kindle as well.
>>> (Just change the extension.)
>>>
>>> http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/ProductDetailsCreator.asp
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> Thanks for letting me know about baen.com. I was downloading stuff like
>> Tom Sawyer (which is fun reading by the way, and could have been better
>> if I could see the original book illustrations in the Kindle) from
>> gutenberg.org. I also have the Mobibook software and have used it.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Well, this did induce me to plug my Kindle in for a recharge. I have to
> say the showy book covers on the baen.com website make me wish even more
> that the Kindle is color-capable.
>
> Bob

I downloaded "Primary Inversion" by Catherine Asaro from Baen. Connected
it to my Fedora 7 box over USB with no trouble and copied the book (as a
*.mobi file) onto it. The table of contents is at the end of the book. I
suppose that's no different than having it at the start of the book. The
front cover images are grayscale and tough to read. The text itself is
fine.

I then went back to baen.com/library and downloaded the same book in
HTML zip format, and put it on my hefty Dell Latitude E6400 laptop.
Started Firefox 3 and read a few paragraphs. The book cover now at least
shows up in color. The HTML links appear to work. I like the HTML
version better except for one thing -- the laptop weighs a ton compared
to the Kindle.

Bob