service

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Sat Jan 24 19:16:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 02:33:54AM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:47:30AM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What is the service/daemon with make that rpm db is regularly locked ?
>>> Thank
>>>

>> You should see the process id of the locker.  Do a "ps -efl | grep PID"
>> to be sure.   I suspect you will find that gnome starts "gpk-update-icon"
>> and friends on a schedule.
> Yes, how can I avoid it ?
> I do not see it in the list of services !
>

>> See "system --> preferences --> system --> Software Updates.
>>
>> Look for the check for updates timer.

It is not a "service" in the same way that sendmail or ntpd are.

Think of it as a desktop activity. As such use desktop tools to manage
it.  Try a right click on the icon and set the polling to something like
weekly or monthly.   You can set it to never run but never updating
is problematic in itself.

I like to let it download updates and notify me to install them.   This
can speed up the install when I elect to do it.  There is no special
value in turning it off downloading updates is something I suspect you do want.

--
	Regards,
	T o m   M i t c h e l l