Creating X config

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jan 24 21:16:42 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>>     With my recent install of FC10, I noticed X will come up without the
>> need for a physical xorg.conf file.  However, if the KVM switch isn't on
>> that particular system when it reboots, the result is less than
>> desirable ... no X.  So, since it already knows how to bring up X (when
>> it does detect the monitor), is there a way for me to dump the (guessed)
>> configuration it uses and actually create a physical xorg.conf file?
>
> X -configure
>
>         Kevin Kofler

If this doesn't create a file which works for you, you can still install
system-config-display with yum, run that, and use the tool which has been
standard for years (or at least the latest incarnation of it).

The xorg.conf file is needed in so many cases, I have no idea why creation
wasn't part of the install. Or maybe there's a secret other file to hold all the
options most people want to provide for a laptop, and I just haven't found the
information on it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>