Hosed fstab, won't boot how to edit?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 25 03:28:26 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>> I assume you have done the normal "write a ro file" command (:w!)
>>> and that failed as well?

>> Yes, that did not work. I am home now, and will just do a reinstall.
>> I was planning one anyway as I figured out the 'best' way to
>> distribute everything between a 4Gb SSD drive and a 4Gb SD drive.
>> When I just had everything (/) on the 4Gb SSD drive as a ext3
>> partition, the install failed. Moving /var/cache over to the SD drive
>> worked. But now after looking at things, I am going to put /usr on a
>> 4Gb ext3 partition on the SD drive, a 1.5Gb swap and 2.5Gb / ext3 on
>> the SSD drive. I think that is the best I can do until I get a 8Gb SD
>> card, or figure out how to unsolder the SSD drive and install a
>> larger one....
>>

> I'm far from an expert, but I read that you should use EXT2 on a SSD
> instead of EXT3, the drive will last longer due to less I/O activity
> (the ext3 journal does too much I/O).

I have been seriously considering using ext2 on the SD drive. Afterall,
it will have /usr on it and not a lot of activity happens to files in
/usr (or am I missing something?). I figure to run the check program
(I'd have to research that again) after yum updates...

I have mixed feelings about ext2 for the SSD drive that would have the
rest of the / tree. adding 'noatime' (and NOT misspelling it this time!)
is a big win. Also need to look into nodiratime, seems it goes with
noatime. Don't see any other options that will cut out writes...