F10 - kernel build problem

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 04:04:26 UTC 2009

David Timms wrote:
> john wendel wrote:
>> this box without any problems. Now with F10, I can't compile the
>> kernel, gcc dies with a segmentation fault and the output tries to
>> tell me that
> Can you provide the text of the segfault (without that you are asking
> for speculation) ?

I'll get this together on Monday when I have access to the box.

> Could you try running the compile inside the gdb debugger, install any
> debuginfo packages requested, and hopefully be able to get a backtrace ?

Not sure I can wedge gdb into the kernel makefile, but I'll take a look
at it. It doesn't give a complete backtrace, but the output lists the
function that died. I just can't remember the name, though I seem to
recall that it was the same function every time it crashed.

> You aren't running out of disk (on certain partitions/lv's) or memory
> during the build, are you ?

Definitely not a disk space issue. I suspect that it might be a memory
problem, but I've got a 2GB swap partition.

>> I did build a large software system (nothing as big as the Linux
>> kernel) on the F10 system and it seems to be working fine, so gcc
>> seems to be installed properly.
> How long did the "large software system" take to complete ?

This a suite of 7 programs and a set of libraries that take about 10
minutes to compile on FC6 and F10. The kernel compile on FC6 takes about
20 minutes.

> How far into the kernel build did it stop (time gcc ...) ?

I'll have to time it, but it dies after building about the first
(apprxoimately) 20 modules. If I run make again, it successfully
compiles the module that it died on, and then segfaults after compiling
another 5 to 10 modules. Repeat make, same behavior. It eventually
finishes the build, but the resulting kernel won't boot.

Same config file builds a working kernel using FC6 (with a much older gcc).

> DaveT.

Thanks for your help.

John