Gateway DX4720 installation problems

Charles Landau clandau at macslab.com
Sun Jan 25 16:46:52 UTC 2009

David Timms wrote:
>> Charles Landau wrote:
>>> I just bought a DX4720-03 from Gateway. Has anyone succeeded in
>>> installing Fedora on this system?
>
> checkout:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6611313
>   last post for a potential fix.

That was my post. Yes, I've worked around this problem by using the
kernel option "noapic".

The next problem is, it won't install in graphics mode, and once
installed, it won't go into graphics mode. Apparently it is unhappy with
the graphics processor on the DX4720-03.

The F10 Live CD hangs up on a blank screen, which I suspect is also
related to not being able to deal with the graphics processor.

The DX4720-03 has an NVIDIA GeForce 7100 integrated graphics processor
with shared memory.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? Or do you have hints on
diagnosing the problem?