Upgrading to F10 without DVD

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 25 17:59:54 UTC 2009

Oliver Ruebenacker writes:

>      Hello,
>
>   I don't have a drive to write to DVD (only to CD). How can I upgrade
> from F9 to F10?
>
>   In the past, I successfully upgraded from F6 to F7 to F8 to F9 by
> burning a rescue CD. But the rescue CD images seem to be increasingly
> hard to find. Are there no F10 users without DVD-R drive?

Of course there are. There are many ways to install Fedora without a DVD
drive. You do need to recruit another machine on the network, to assist.

One way to do it is to download the DVD image, and loop-mount it on another
machine that has Apache installed and running. Loop-mount the image, say, as
/var/www/html/dvd.

Then, from the images/pxeboot directory, copy initrd.img and vmlinuz files
to your F9 machines, and make another entry in its grub.conf, something
like:

title Fedora Installer
   kernel /vmlinuz-installer
   initrd /initrd-installer.img

That assumes you've copied initrd.img and vmlinuz from images/pxeboot to as
/boot/vmlinuz-installer and /boot/initrd-installer.img

Then, reboot, and choose the new option from Grub's menu. The installer will
start, choose the option to do a network install, and enter the URL to the
loop-mounted DVD image on the other machine: http://ip.address/dvd