Gateway DX4720 installation problems - nvidia 7100

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 26 12:21:18 UTC 2009

Charles Landau wrote:
> Apparently Linux is known to have problems with the nVidia GeForce 7100;
> I found this post:
> https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=62357&forum=12
>
> I'm looking for the right driver in hopes that will fix the video problem.
It may be that kernel modesetting is active and causing the issue. try
adding the nomodeset option to the grub kernel boot line.

You can check the nvidia linux site to determine which GPUs are
supported by which closed source driver. (If it is supported, then I
suggest using akmod-nvidia-YYY from RPM Fusion to make the process of
getting the driver installed easier.)

DaveT.