F10, NetworkManager, and intermittent dns -- Update

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Mon Jan 26 14:21:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 08:47 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:23:49 +1100
> David Timms wrote:
>
> > Tom Horsley wrote:

> > > I'd strongly suspect this is NM getting the resolv.conf file
> > > correct on initial connect, then screwing it up on
> > > subsequent DHCP lease renewal.
> > I get the no entries in /etc/resolv.conf directly after logging in
> > (workaround - an NM entry with static IP, and dns). Is there a more
> > permanent fix for Fedora 10 (upgraded from F9) ?
>
> In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> I have the line:
>
> PEERDNS=no
>
> which (in theory) prevents NM from doing anything at all to
> the resolv.conf file when acting on that interface (of course
> you then have to make sure you set resolv.conf yourself).

I thought NM had a know bug where it did not yet respect the PEERDNS=no
entry.

Has this been fixed?

The only (and most unfortunate) way I have been able to reliably keep my
resolf.conf file from getting waxed by NM has been to set it as
immutable. A _very_ nasty way of doing things, but it does work.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a