How to fix fstab on bootup - forgot to comment out a line

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon Jan 26 16:57:47 UTC 2009

Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> I forgot to comment out a line in /etc/fstab, now when my machine
> boots up it keeps dropping to a filesystem check and asks for teh root
> password. My question is how can I get to edit the /etc/fstab file on
> bootup or via grub?

so type in the root password.

then type this:

mount /proc
mount -o remount,rw /

the 'mount /proc' bit is just to be absolutely certain that you got that
far.

You can now edit /etc/fstab

(all this assumes that the error is NOT on the line for your /
filesystem. In that case, use your fedora CD/DVD to boot into rescue
mode and do it from there)

Regards,

Stuart
--