Sound with gstreamer-apps is unbearable

Hugh Caley hughc at aldon.com
Mon Jan 26 21:40:09 UTC 2009

I'm just not sure what to do about this.  I'd really like to manage and
play my music and internet radio using one of the gstreamer-based apps,
such as Rhythmbox or Banshee.  However, they are just unbearable to use
on my Fedora 10 installation; they click and pop all the time.

Xmms works much better, but doesn't have the interface I'd like to use,
and of course I have to install it separately.

My primary problem seems to be Firefox; once I've accessed anything that
has any kind of flash content Firefox it then grabs 86%+ of cpu until I
shut it down.  This is, of course, not good either, but since we don't
produce the flash plugin I'm not sure what can be done about it from the
Fedora or Linux side.

I don't know, really, what to do here.  Frankly, the plugin performance
is not acceptable, and I will complain to Adobe about it.  However, why
is it that Xmms can more or less deal with the situation, but Rhythmbox
can't?

rhythmbox-0.11.6-17.r6096.fc10.i386

gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-4.fc10.i386
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.10-2.fc10.i386
gstreamer-tools-0.10.21-2.fc10.i386
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.9-1.fc10.i386
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.21-2.fc10.i386
PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386
gstreamer-0.10.21-2.fc10.i386
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.11-4.fc10.i386
gstreamer-python-0.10.12-1.fc10.i386
totem-gstreamer-2.24.3-1.fc10.i386
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.5-1.fc10.i386

firefox-3.0.5-1.fc10.i386