How to get X started?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jan 27 03:54:34 UTC 2009

Charles Landau wrote:
> I installed Fedora 10 and, due to a missing graphics driver, it came up
> in text mode. I installed the needed driver and now I can enter graphics
> mode with the startx command.
>
> My question is, how do I configure Fedora so it will now start X
> automatically when it boots?

If you've installed the X11 packages, then you should just need to
change your default "init" level from 3 to 5.  Look at your /etc/inittab
file.  Of course, if your X server isn't configured properly (and it'll
tell you if its having problems starting) then you'll have another
problem to fix.  Luckily, you can try starting a manual X server from a
logged in user account via the "startx" command to make sure it will
work properly.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com