F10 and Gnome - not root login

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:11:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
> One has to wonder, what are the odds that two different people had
> some weird dvd.
> As a side note: I had created the "problem" dvd I used previously on
> 12/04/08 ( I dated it),
> and that was a few days after the mainstream release on late November.

The real problem is the people experiencing the problem aren't diagnosing it.

My understanding is firstboot is running as boot time service.  The
absolute first thing that needs to be checked is to see if the
affected installs have firstboot configured to run as a boot time
service as soon as the install process is finished.  You can do that
by either booting into runlevel 1 (single user mode) instead of doing
the default boot after the install is finished..logging to the single
user console and running chkconfig --list firstboot  which should
report that firstboot is configured to run or not for runlevel 5.

The script is configured to turn itself off after it runs firstboot
and exits successfully with return value of 0.  That could be a logic
fault in the script, if on some systems firstboot is attempting to run
and returns a 0 status but failed to accomplish the task.  I'm not
sure I certainly can't reproduce the problem.

But to investigate that we'd have to find someone who can consistently
reproduce the problem across multiple fresh installs.  If I can find
someone who can do that then I can probably walk them through
replacing the firstboot init script with a more verbose script using
the rescue mode or single user mode on the system.

-jef