F10 and Gnome - not root login

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 22:23:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, Craig White wrote:
>On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 12:48 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:

>> > FWIW, this is NOT an isolated case.  I've installed F10 twice on one box
>> > now, and both installs did that to me.  Not allowed a root login, but it
>> > never asked for a user to be setup.  So I installed again, and again it
>> > failed to ask for a user to be setup.  I didn't try a 3rd time on that
>> > box, plugging in a Mint Linux dvd instead, but that release everybody
>> > was having orgasms over wasn't anywhere near ready for prime time.
>> >
>> > That box now has ubuntu-8.04 LTS on it, but it may wind up with 6.06 LTS
>> > simply because the newer X has 1 second or more in lags the screen
>> > update, and for emc, that is very much _not_ a tolerable thing.
>>
>> I burned a dvd this morning and used it to install F10. The install
>> went fine and this
>> time the problem went away completely. Firstboot ran as expected. I
>> created a regular user account, logged in, ran updates, etc...
>>
>> One has to wonder, what are the odds that two different people had
>> some weird dvd.
>> As a side note: I had created the "problem" dvd I used previously on
>> 12/04/08 ( I dated it),
>> and that was a few days after the mainstream release on late November.
>
>----
>I don't think that the DVD.iso changed from the original release date.
>
>I do think that Gene is not a typical user. In fact, I suspect that
>experienced Linux users will do different things that might subvert the
>firstboot process, perhaps switch to a virtual console at startup or
>boot immediately to runlevel 1 to 'fix' things, perhaps move files from
>another /home directory and just generally tinker with things
>like /etc/fstab and switching runlevels or rebooting without
>anticipation of the firstboot process.
>
>Craig

Nope, I didn't do that until after some kind soul here, maybe even you, told
me how to get around it. I had considered the possibility of adding the
single argument, but the timeout in grub was faster than the tube monitor
could be usable so I didn't. That was the 2nd install FWIW.  And once I had
it going I went to bed, the removal of the dvd and the reboot was the next
morning in both cases.

Frankly it was no great loss to me, the box itself is named goat because its
sacrificial, and TBT, isn't fast enough to run very much without boring the
user to tears, asking myself why the heck did I spend $50 bucks putting a psu
in it in the first place.  The answer of course is I don't know...

It does run ubuntu-8.04 well enough to run emc in the simulate mode, but x is
so slow emc isn't really going to be usable on machinery that can move as
fast as I can turn the cranks.  But it gives me a feel of sorts about how
other machines, such as a lathe, might work if I take the time to hang the
motors on mine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)