Poor WiFi Performance

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Wed Jan 28 08:01:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:10:20PM +0100, Phil Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 16:34, Phil Bieber <philbieber at gmail.com> wrote:
> <--snip-->
> > I checked the  MTU and it says 1500, I changed it and now the speed
> > test is better than the last time (~700kbit/s up, 700kbit/s down). But
> > still they are not the same or close to the Windows speeds....
> <--snip-->
> Hi!
>
> I was being too enthusiastic. About 20 minutes after I wrote those lines
> my speeds dropped back to the speeds I mentioned in my first mail.
>
> Is there anything else I can do?
>
> I believe I have forgotten one last important thing: my box is 64 Bit. Can this be the problem?
> If so, can I somehow convert to 32 Bit without reinstalling the whole machine? I appreciate any help and will provide any info that may help to solve this problem!

I wonder if windows is finding a proxy...
Many vendors give their proxy hardware an advantage.

How are you measuring the link speed?

Another trick might be to limit-rate with tools like wget (see the man page).
Some ISPs dial back bandwidth after giving you a burst of fun.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?