is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:05:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Mail Lists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 12/21/2008 02:05 PM, Mail Lists wrote:
> >    I am a long time KDE user - in part for similar reasons to Linus - it
> > was configurable, flexible and let me set things up the way I wanted  -
>
>  ..
>

> >   (1)  Are the fedora KDE users moving back to gnome ? ... is KDE dead
> > or alive ?
> >

>   Followup to let you know what I decided for myself - I have switched
> from KDE to Gnome. I tried, but KDE4 is just not ready today.

I disagree, and I am always have been a gnome user.

>  Switching was not without some discomfort and effort ... of note:
>
>    - I've been unable to add items to my desktop menu(s)
>
>    - Session save remains broken - still

There is a way of implementing a "manual" session save for gnome:

http://blogs.sun.com/mattman/entry/gnome_2_24_session_save1

It is working just fine for me, even with compiz. I just need to click
on a panel icon to send my terminals and applications to their appropriate
locations.

Note that this works only for gnome-terminal 2.24 (F10). gnome-terminal 2.18
(F8)
seems to not allow the changing of a terminal title.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ