Puzzling over NFS4

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:21:03 UTC 2009

I use NFS4 to make desktop computer directories available to the laptop to
either sync manually or with rsync. This works excellently, except for some
NFS problems.

I start the NFS daemons in this order:
rpcsvcgssd
rpcgssd
rpcbind
nfslock
rpcidmapd
nfs

No errors are apparent on either computer.

I stop the daemons in this order:
nfs
rpcidmapd
nfslock
rpcbind
rpcgssd
rpcsvcgssd

Only the laptop shows an error, namely, rpcbind fails at shutdown.

*Also*, on the desktop, I haven't checked the laptop, these are not unmounted:

sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

What is the correct order to start the daemons?
What is the correct order to stop the daemons?
How do I get sunrpc and nfsd unmounted?
Do I need all six daemons to do what I want?