F10 and Gnome - not root login

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:08:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you think it's worth it let's give it a shot and tell me what to do.
>
> looks like firstboot is failing to run. Hence why its still enabled to
> run again on next boot.
>
> On that freshly installed affected system, does firstboot run manually
> without error?
>
> alt-ctrl-f2
> login as root
> init 3  (switch to runlevel 3 which should kill gdm)
> /usr/sbin/firstboot
>
> hopefully this spews some error messages to the virtual console.
>
> -jef

I did a fresh install choosing KDE only --this deselect the gdm package
from the X Windows System group. The problem persisted even though
there was no gnome or gdm in the picture.

I reinstalled once again choosing GNOME. The problem persisted.

So I logged in as root.
In both occasions I tried your suggestion to run firstboot manually, and it
failed with an error:
"-bash:/usr/sbin/firstboot:/usr/bin/python2:bad interpreter: No such
file or directory"

Effectively speaking, the python interpreter is not there.
There is a empty link: "/usr/bin/python2 -> python"

BTW, this is Kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686. It doesn't say beta in there.

~af