Mounting UFS partition

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:02:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to mount an UFS partition from a FreeBSD 7.1 system, but
>> I'm getting this error:
>>
>> kernel: ufs_read_super: bad magic number
>>
>> I'm using this to mount the fs:
>>
>> mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd -o ro /dev/sda4 /mnt/FreeBSD/
>>
> Did you (a) check that the ufs module is loaded even if you get a ufs error,
> and (b) leave off the option or try others?

a)
lsmod | grep ufs
ufs                    71176  0

b) Same errors without ufstype, ro or both at the same time.
Without ufstype, I get a message in the log warning me about mounting
a UFS filesystem without specifying the type.

I know the partition is good cause I actually use it when I boot into FreeBSD.

> I burn ufs DVDs all the time, rather than non-standard iso9660 formats, and
> they have always mounted w/o options, as have ufs ZIP media I used for a
> project with OpenBSD four years ago.
>
>> Can't I mount the partition?
>>
> You just got all the ideas I have.

Thanks,