F10 and Gnome - not root login

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:19:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Had I seen this earlier I would have told you just to go to a non-X console
> and login as root there... The whole thing about not logging as root is
> "security by obscurity" as far as I'm concerned, and is more effective as a
> barrier to doing useful work than keeping users from shooting themselves in
> the foot.

I had no idea the root login approach had changed.
Frustration set in when I first installed F10 and root could not be
authenticated.
Since I had not seen this with previous distros, I thought there was something
in the release notes. I skimmed the docs and found no reference, maybe
I did not look hard enough. I found the relevant info about the pam.d file
by searching this list.

Some workplaces implement harsh measures to prevent root compromises.
But to a new user this has to be a bit of a setback if then don't know how to
approach it.

~af