secure-login related log messages when using kdm/gnome

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 28 23:36:05 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:
>     kdm: :0: gnome-keyring-daemon: couldn't lookup keyring component
> setting: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are
> that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
> locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for
> information. (Details -  1: Not running within active
> session)

Hmmm, looks like a gnome-keyring integration problem, we've also seen
several variants of this in KDE with stuff using gnome-keyring (e.g.
nm_applet). The weird thing is that it behaves differently for different
people.

You can try disabling the pam_gnome_keyring.so in /etc/pam.d/kde (which is
what KDM uses), but then you'll have to unlock the keyring by hand (by
typing the password again) after logging in.

        Kevin Kofler