F10 Cups / Samba / Vista

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 29 01:56:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 12:08 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 10:56 -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > the alternative that someone suggested about just making it a network
> > printer and pointing to the http address for cups (bypassing samba)
> > does work.  I'm just thinking that I might want to use this machine as
> > a fileserver at some point and there's no need to use two points of
> > entry if one works.
>
> It's worth thinking about that putting Samba in between CUPS and remote
> access to it, and you are putting an *extra* thing in the middle, *is*
> complicating how printing works.
----
sure, when you're talking about one system.

also, experience tells me that things don't occur in isolation and
eventually you figure out that whatever is broken also affects other
things down the line that you haven't discovered yet.

The theory here is fairly simple...If cups is functioning properly,
computer can print. If samba is functioning properly, Windows computers
can print to samba shared printer through cups. Since PCL drivers on
Windows systems do not speak postscript, you must permit 'raw' printing
to allow the PCL through to the printer unmolested by cups. It really
isn't that complicated.

Craig