is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Jan 29 04:07:59 UTC 2009

Mail Lists wrote:
>   Switching was not without some discomfort and effort ... of note:
>
>     - I've been unable to add items to my desktop menu(s)

System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Main Menu

I'm able to add and remove items using this tool.

>     - keyring management needs help - and getting gpg-agent and
> ssh-agent to work sanely took some scripting which now works perfectly
> for me.

If you're on F10, you're probably trying too hard.  At least ssh-agent
functionality is built in to the gnome-keyring-daemon.  You don't have
to start it yourself.  You probably don't even need to run 'ssh-add';
you'll be prompted for the passphrase to keys in the default paths when
ssh tries to use them for the first time (or at login, if you click a
checkbox).