Need second opinion, is my HD failing?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200901 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 07:42:38 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail
>>Always       -       955
> It has to be about out of spare sectors, I haven't ever seen one that high.
> This is your wake up call I believe.

Crap, a count of non-zero should be his wakeup call.  All my disks
that have grown bad spots soon died.  Google noticed the same thing in
their disk study.

I'd copy the data on to a new disk, zero out the old disk and give it
to someone you don't like very much. ;-)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.