Need second opinion, is my HD failing?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:02:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
>>>
>>> It has to be about out of spare sectors, I haven't ever seen one that
>>> high. This is your wake up call I believe.
>>
>>Crap, a count of non-zero should be his wakeup call.  All my disks
>>that have grown bad spots soon died.  Google noticed the same thing in
>>their disk study.
>>
> Hey, I was trying to be nice.
>
>>I'd copy the data on to a new disk, zero out the old disk and give it
>>to someone you don't like very much. ;-)
>
> Nah, just bin it, its toast.

Well it's a Seagate and is under warranty. I went ahead and paid the
$20 for the "Advanced Replacement" so I can get the replacement before
sending them the bad one. I downloaded both their bootable ISO and the
linux version of seatools. Interestingly the short test showed the
drive is good but the long test found an error.

Richard