Need second opinion, is my HD failing?

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Jan 30 17:42:36 UTC 2009

Richard Shaw wrote:
> Well it's a Seagate and is under warranty. I went ahead and paid the
> $20 for the "Advanced Replacement" so I can get the replacement before
> sending them the bad one. I downloaded both their bootable ISO and the
> linux version of seatools. Interestingly the short test showed the
> drive is good but the long test found an error.
>
> Richard

Richard,

My second opinion is that your drive isn't failing.  Before you send it
back to Seagate, please take the time to read the following posts from
Bryn Reeves:

  * Understanding S.M.A.R.T. test results
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/msg03397.html>
  * Interpreting raw and normalized S.M.A.R.T. values
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/msg03405.html>

S.M.A.R.T. test results are a little confusing and often lead people to
believe that a drive is failing even though it's perfectly fine.  Your
test result was good, because none of your drive's pre-fail attributes
were below the threshold value.  It's likely that if you ran Seagate's
diagnostic tests on the drive they wouldn't find any problems.  If there
are any non-destructive tests, try running them before you go through
the hassle of replacing the drive.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions