Broadcom-wl v. Kernel

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 31 15:41:06 UTC 2009

homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> I am not at all sure why it installed two kmod-wl. Both are
> from rpmfusion-nonfree-updates???

One is the metapackage which always drags in the module for the latest
kernel, the other is the actual package for your current kernel.

> Is the kernel dependency correct? Does this mean that - to
> use wireless - I should boot from the non-PAE kernel?

You should install kmod-wl-PAE.

And are you sure you still need the proprietary driver? As far as I know,
the b43 driver is getting support for more and more devices.

> I hate to ask - I feel stupid - but what is the difference
> between rpmfusion free and nonfree? Is this a licensing
> issue?

Nonfree means it is not Free Software:

        Kevin Kofler