Xemacs over ssh tunnel question

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Jan 31 21:37:11 UTC 2009

My Desktop system at work is an HP Integrity (IA64) with Fedora 9 and a
GNOME desktop.  Because I do a lot of compiling under xemacs, I ssh -X
to a RHEL 5.2 system to run xemacs. Under RHEL 4, everything worked
fine, but under RHEL 5.2 I am unable to click on any buttons on a dialog
box. Everything else works fine.

If I log into a RHEL 5.2 console through a KVM, things work fine. So,
the issue seems to be some combination of a Fedora 9 IA64 host running
xemacs through ssh  and X forwarding through the tunnel.

One solution is that I could install RHEL 5.1 on the workstation, but I
would prefer Fedora. AFAIK, Fedora 10 is not yet available for IA64.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix