Display all washed out

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 1 15:08:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 17:41 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> Those of you who remember old-fashioned color film cameras will
> remember an occasional badly overexposed pic, in everything looked all
> washed out, or bleached.
>
>         I have an F11 PC that looks like that.
>
>         It's behind a KVM switch with three other PCs, two running
> F11, and one still running F10. All the others look normal, and this
> one used to.

Sounds more like the KVM is screwing up the signal, or the monitor is
maladjusted.

I've seen people mess up their graphics card settings on Windows,
compensating for maladjusted monitors, instead of leaving their graphic
card configuration alone and setting the monitor up right.  That sort of
nonsense rapidly gets problematic on monitors that are used with more
than one PC.

Unless there's something wrong with your graphic card, or a monitor has
no controls, the graphic card should output the normal default signal
levels.  Turning up brightness in one place, down at the other end, and
doing likewise with the contrast, is a recipe for creating bad video.
You can't get back the signal that you've already destroyed at the start
of the chain.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686