f11 - missing font?

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:15:37 UTC 2009

2009/7/1 Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>:
> Frank Cox wrote:

>>> Did you restart X (and xfs) after installing the font?
>>> xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 provides the scalable IBM Courier fonts
>>> (-ibm-courier-*-*-normal--*-*-*-*-m-*-*-*)
>>
>> I logged out and logged back in.  Shouldn't that have accomplished the
>> goal?
>
> xfs is started as part of the system startup.  You could, as root:
>
>        service xfs restart
>
> Not sure about X.  I think a logout/login just restarts xdm, not X
> itself.

XFS is optional and has been for quite a while (2+ years):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNoMoreXFS

[sam at samlap ~]$ rpm -qi xorg-x11-xfs
package xorg-x11-xfs is not installed
(my GUI works perfectly well)

As such, it's probably not installed and X is sourcing the fonts from
their directories and not via a font server.

--
Sam