Totem Movie Player

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 3 01:00:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 06:38 +0200, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
> Well, from what I've read, it seems THE source for non-free software
> but, at first, I was wondering. I believe that, a few years ago, Livna
> occupied this position, no? And following FedoraFAQs post-installation
> instructions, I saw that installation of the Livna repository was
> suggested, first in the list.

They *were* two independent repos, and sometimes there were conflicts
between them (as far as I recall), where they offered some overlapping
packages.  That can be a problem between some repos (there are a few
others, too).

Later on Livna stopped supplying those packages (nvidia drivers, some
multimedia playback packages), and RPMfusion carried them.  Now Livna
just has the thingy for playing encrypted DVDs, and RPM fusion is the
common one-place-for-most-other-things repo.

To set up to receive files from a new repo, you'd download and install a
package that does that (a "release" RPM from the repo).  It installs the
files yum uses to find the repo, and sets things up for handling
something else that it needs (the key).  The first time yum tried to use
that repo, you'd be asked to install the key for it (a yes/no prompt).

As far as a beginner's guide, I haven't looked at them for ages.  A good
source used to be those install booklets that you could find in
newsagents (a small Reader's Digest-sized book with an install DVD).
They used to have a fairly good introduction, and since it was printed
on paper, you didn't have to fight with a computer before you could read
about it.  I found them better than the token effort you'd see in a
Windows computer magazine that's jumped on the "let's play with Linux"
bandwagon.  And the dedicated Linux magazines were about three or four
times the price, so I haven't looked at them.

I'd suggest starting here:  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686