new disk layout

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Jul 3 14:27:37 UTC 2009

On 07/01/2009 03:28 PM, Mick M. wrote:
> Hi;
>   I would like some input on disk partitions.
> I bought a 1TB sata drive, it works fine,
>
> At the moment my system has 3 drives 1 160M IDE and 2 sata 250M and 1TB.
> The IDE is for XP, as it will not see the SATA drives.
>
> I want to remove the IDE drive and install XPx64 on the new drive as a VirtualBox image.
> I also want to install F11 on that drive.
>
> My other SATA drive is F10, I want to leave that alone and dual boot F10/F11.
>
> OK  - what do you suggest for partitions on this drive?
> I want to use "regular" partitions - not the default LVM stuff.
>
> I was thinking:
> 1 /boot ext3 200M
> 2 swap 82    4G ( I have 2G memory)
> 3 / ext4    250G
> 4 extended   rest about 750G with ext3
>
> Will VirtualBox work with ext4?

I have a very similar situation. I was planning on using my 160GB drive
for F10, and placing F11 on the new drive. However through stupidity I
formatted my existing 160 :-[ . So, I ended up placing F11 on the 1TB
with /boot as the first partition, and LVM taking he rest of the volume.
I now have the 160GB drive as a backup. However, I set that up as an LVM
physical volume, but I'm wondering if I lose my other disk how readable
that is, so I may simply reallocate that as a single partition EXT3 or
4. I have allocated some space on my 1TB drive for use by KVM. KVM has
no trouble with ext4, and I suspect that Virtualbox shouldn't either.

In your specific case, the major changes I would make would be to use
physical partition 2 or 3 for the extended and place root, and possibly
swap in the extended partition. Otherwise, I think your use of the other
SATA drive is the way I had initially planned.

I do think you would be better using either QEMU or Xen with KVM as your
Virtual Machine manager.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix