Kernel 2.6.30

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 3 17:09:23 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> delta *.tar.gz's that
>> 2.6.30.1? I have been
>> follow Fedora
>> they are at
>> patches
>> latest version, but
>> this in case Fedora
>> right
>> kernels work :), and
>> endusers in a bad way.

>> you're running - You'll

>> original, unpatched
>> uncompress the patch

>> Do your kernel build.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.30.1.bz2
>
> Patch is out for 2.6.30.1, how exactly do I do it.  I run
> patch -P1 < patch-2.6.30.1.bz2 in /linux-2.6.30 directory where the 2.6.30 source was?
> Do I extract the patch?
> This is where I need more guidance as I have not done it. Usually I just get the entire thing 2.6.30.1.tar.bz2 but now I don't have access to high speed connection and I just want to see if I can do it.

You want to uncompress the patch, either in place or via a pipe:
   bzcat ../patch-2.6.30.1.bz2 | patch -p1

I highly recommend adding "--dry-run" to the patch command the first time, and
watching for errors. Note that I normally put the patches in the parent
directory (..) so adjust to fit your needs.

Also note you are building a kernel.org kernel, not a Fedora kernel, there are
some times when the Fedora kernel has patches not in mainline. I generally try
my kernels in a VM before I go with them "for real."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>