forced to do text-based F11 install

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 3 17:13:57 UTC 2009

On 07/03/2009 10:23 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Andre Robatino writes:

>>> If you are using NetworkManager you turn the internet on by choosing the
>>> eth0 option in the nm-applet in the upper right corner of the panel.
>>>
>>> If you are running network then use system-config-network and configure
>>> the eth0 interface, That is thew same as choosing the
>>> System->Administration->Network option
>>>
>>> Find out which you are running by using the : chkconfig --list |grep
>>> <program name>
>>>

>>> Only one should be running. I would expect by default it is NM.
>>
>> There is no GUI available, only 179 packages are installed.  I found
>> that adding "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" to ifcfg-eth0 lets me use "service network
>> start" to get networking up.  Unfortunately, seconds after starting a
>> yum transaction, the OS freezes completely and I have to power off.
>
> Boot with the "forcefsck" option, to refsck all your partitions. Until
> you do that, with all those freezes, it's fairly likely that you have
> some corruption that is going to keep you from accomplishing anything
> useful.
>
> Then, the next step is "rpm --rebuilddb". This will recover your RPM
> database. Until you clean up your partition, and your RPM database, you
> won't get very far.
>
> If after all that you still hang, the are only two remaining
> possibilities: failing hardware, or you're hitting a kernel bug.

Actually, I was duplicating the text-based install on my VirtualBox in
order to be able to walk my father through it remotely.  But the hang
only seems to happen for me using VB.  For him, on the real OS, it works
fine.  He just edited ifcfg-eth0 to change ONBOOT from no to yes, and
added a BOOTPROTO=dhcp line.  After "service network restart", his
network works fine, so he's busy with yum groupinstall right now.