Display all washed out

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 3 21:35:03 UTC 2009

Beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:46:37 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> 	[....]
>> You can easily find out.  Connect the "problem machine" directly to the
>> monitor -- remove the KVM switch from the circuit.
>>
>> See if the problem goes away.
>>
>> If the problem goes away, the KVM switch is the problem.
>>
>> If the problem doesn't go away, the KVM switch isn't the problem.
>
> 	Doing that right now, and posting from that machine. The problem
> is not even mitigated.
>
> 	What's more, I ran system-config-display again, logged out, and
> logged back in. No change. It came up saying generic LCD, set to
> 1280x1024, but only actually offering 1024x768 -- on a monitor that's
> really 1680x1050. I changed that to HP w2207, but it made no difference.
>
> 	Detail, which I meant to mention before, in case it tells anyone
> anything. Sometimes (I can't tell how to characterize the times), every
> movement of the cursor leaves a trail of tiny dots behind it. When it
> does, they persist even if I open a new app. They're barely perceptible,
> except in case they're right over a word or line of text (which is
> already way undersized as well as pale & faint); then they make that line
> or word all but illegible.
>
> 	Section "Monitor" of xorg.conf contains the settings :
>
> ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
>         HorizSync    31.5 - 64.0
>         VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> [....]
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "radeon"
> [....]
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes    "1280x1024" "800x600"
>         EndSubSection
>

> 	Two other details : this is the oldest machine in the house,
> bought used from a guy who was eager to get in on the then- emerging 64-
> bit systems, whenever that was. lshw-gui says it's an ASUS A7V8X, with an
> AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+ cpu motherboard
>
> 	I discovered when my previous lcd flat panel died suddenly and I
> had to buy this one that both the problem machine and the next oldest
> were physically incapable of handling 1680x1050; but, fortunately, HP's
> engineers had foreseen that, and the w2207h has software of its own that
> will stretch out 1280x1024 to an acceptable display -- if only I can get
> back to that. (It was doing so till I forgot that while upgrading --
> thanks to a lot of help here, particularly from Frank Cox iirc.)
>
> 	I hope one of those details may tell one of you something.

These are the steps which work for me:
- system->admin->display->hardware
	set to generic LCD of the right size
	log out
- system->admin->display->settings
	now you should be able to set the max resolution
	log out
- system->prefs->hardware->ScreenRes
	now you should be able to set what you really want
	log out

That works for me, although it feels very "Windows-ish" to keep logging out.
Note: works on FC9 & FC10, similar works on FC11, but that system is in use and
I can't play right now.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>