about displays/screens

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Jul 4 07:39:18 UTC 2009

Antonio M wrote:
> 2009/7/4 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>:
>> Antonio M wrote:
>>> I am confused...
>>> Yesterday I got a new LCD display as replacement of a Philps 107 E CRT
>>> display...
>>> When I restarted tha machine, I got the old resolution, so I tried to
>>> change it witg system-config-display, I entered a generic LCD
>>> (1360x768) display as my Acer was not on the list, I logged out and I
>>> logged in but in system-config-display I still get my olp Philips with
>>> a maximum resolution of 1280x1024!!!.
>>> This is my xorg.conf file
>>>
>>> # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
>>>
>>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>>        Identifier     "single head configuration"
>>>        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>>        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>>
>>> # keyboard added by rhpxl
>>>        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>>>        Driver      "kbd"
>>>        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>>>        Option      "XkbLayout" "it"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Monitor"
>>>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>>>        ModelName    "Philips 107E"
>>>        HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
>>>        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
>>>        Option      "dpms"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Device"
>>>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>>        Driver      "nouveau"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Screen"
>>>        Identifier "Screen0"
>>>        Device     "Videocard0"
>>>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Right here, you are still telling X to use Monitor0, which is your old
>> monitor.  I'm not sure what X is doing, you need to look at your
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to know for sure.
>>
>>>        DefaultDepth     24
>>>        SubSection "Display"
>>>                Viewport   0 0
>>>                Depth     24
>>>        EndSubSection
>>>        SubSection "Display"
>>>                Viewport   0 0
>>>                Depth     16
>>>                Modes    "800x600"
>>>        EndSubSection
>>> EndSection
>>>

>>> any idea???
>>> System is an F11 fully upgraded that was rawhide, F10 and so on...
>>
>> --
>> Kevin J. Cummings
>> kjchome at rcn.com
>> cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
>> cummings at kjc386.framingham.ma.us
>> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>>
>> --
>>

> tnx Kevin.
>
> I attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I see no attachment here.....

> No idea what is going on: I understand that monitor is running as
> 1600x900..is it true??? and system-config-display seems to be overseed
> by a tools that is gnome-display-properties....
> Maybe that I am missing philosophy of X server :-)

I had a devil of a time getting X right on a test machine (K6-2 500 with
an old Radeon 7000 card and a 17" no-name monitor).  Once I got it
running, it's needed no more care from me.  But it drive me nuts since
the only mode(s) that worked reliably for me was 800x600 (or 640 x 480).
  Now its happily buzzing along (when I boot it) at 1280x1024.

I had an easier time exchanging a Spectre 17" tube for an Acer 22" flat
panel on F8 (GeForce 6200), and the 19" Dell monitor worked right away
on the F11 test system I built (nVidia Riva TNT).

They changed the default behavior of Xorg when the monitor responds
correctly to queries about its capabilities, making Xorg.conf less
useful, and more difficult to use to override things.   I think that was
for F10....

Anyways its bedtime for me now....

--
Kevin J. Cummings