Network guru help sought please

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jul 4 17:25:18 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Since you are tracing the packets, you can look at the DNS request for
>> mirrorlist and see what IP is being returned by your nameserver. I'm not
> sure
>> how you conclude that the mirrorlist "is not interpreted" whatever that
> means,
>> you must have gotten a valid IP from DNS, but the name is truncated or not
> in
>> DNS properly, or whatever. Run tcpdump with the -n option and see what IP
> you
>> get back.
>
> Thanks for your response.
> By "not interpreted" I meant that the packets all went to and from
> fedoraproject.org , rather than any mirror.

This could be anything, either that the mirrors list is still being read, or
that there are machines at fedoraproject.org which are on the mirrors list, and
you got to use one of them.

> I'll see what tcpdump -n tells me, as you suggest.
> The main problem with tcpdump is that there are millions of packets
> from the rest of the family using the same WiFi access point.

Run tcpdump to (a) write to a file, (b) save a few more bytes than the default
so you can see long strings (maybe 150?), and (c) filter the packets grabbed,
probably by MAC address of the machine you're using.

If it still isn't clear, you can look at the captured packets with wireshark,
which David also suggested.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>