Nfs permissions problem -

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 4 22:28:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 18:02:32 -0400
Bob Goodwin wrote:

>     I used /mnt/home since that was what was used in an example that I
>     followed first time around. It seemed ok to me since /mnt has
>     nothing in it. What would be a better choice?

I use /mnt/ for mounting nfs shares, and for mounting iso loopbacks and whatever
else comes by.

This computer is running F11.

I have two NFS fileservers that are automatically mounted on this computer when
it's booted up.  One is named jeff and the other is named fileserver, and they
are mounted at /mnt/jeff and /mnt/fileserver.

Here is the relevant portion of /etc/fstab on this computer:

fileserver:/nas/NASDisk-00002/files/ /mnt/fileserver         nfs
defaults        0 0
jeff:/			/mnt/jeff         nfs	defaults        0 0

jeff runs Centos 5.

[frankcox at mutt ~]$ cat /mnt/jeff/etc/exports
/ 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)
[frankcox at mutt ~]$ ls /mnt/jeff
bin   dev  home  lib64       media  mnt  opt   root  selinux  sys  usr
boot  etc  lib   lost+found  misc   net  proc  sbin  srv      tmp  var

In short, as long as the nfs service is running on the fileserver,
your /etc/exports file is correct and your firewall is set up correctly (I
already posted my note about how to do that) then it should work.