"One or more disks are failing" ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 6 00:34:09 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 15:01:30 -0400, Bill wrote:
>
>>>   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always
>>>       -       6202
>
>> I don't totally trust POH (#9) as it
>> is sometimes lower than my uptime. I suspect Seagate is reporting in days, yours
>> looks right if the drive is eight months old.
>
> Seagate reports in hours, too. [Or else some of my drives would have a POH
> time of more than 70 years. ;-)]

No, I wasn't kidding, I have three Segates, model ST3750640AS, bought new at the
same time, and installed at the same time, and not only are the POH different
but the machine was up for 400+ days at one time. The POHs reported via smartctl
are 359,559,and 2135. That's just *broken* POH reporting. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>