How to share a desktop? (for tutoring)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Jul 6 18:21:42 UTC 2009

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 11:56 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> I have a need to share a minimal desktop, VNC is out of the question
>>> as it's extremely heavy. But I haven't been able to find anything on
>>> desktop sharing with FreeNX, and there doesn't seem to be any RDP
>>> servers for Linux. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>>
>> I believe the RDP server is already installed. At least it is on my
>> F10 system. To activate it, in Gnome, you go to System -->
>> Preferences --> Internet and Network --> Remote Desktop.
>
> That's the integrated vino vnc server isn't it?
>
> There is an open source RDP server for X:
>
> http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
>
> Some info from folk who've used it here:
>
> http://www.css-networks.com/tag/x11rdp
> http://www.whenpenguinsattack.com/2006/04/19/rdp-server-for-linux/
>
> Afaik this isn't packaged in Fedora.
>
>> There are also RDP clients for Linux. I believe there is a Wiki page
>> on this - at least I remember reading about it somewhere.
>
> The rdesktop package has been included in Fedora for a while.

Yes, the default desktop sharing stuff for Fedora is VNC-based.  I
tend to use the vnc Xorg module.  The Gnome menu path:

	System->Preferences->Internet and Network->Remote Desktop

invokes vino.  As to a client, you could use vncviewer or vinagre.

FreeNX is available, but I've never gotten it to work nicely.  Granted,
I've never spent much time trying.

There is an RDP server for Linux (xrdp, http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/),
but it's not packaged for Fedora and it doesn't share the main desktop
but sets up a separate X desktop using twm (I think).  Building it is
pretty stupid simple, however I've never used it.

The RDP client has been shipped with Fedora for a long time.
-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -