Help with d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 6 21:18:17 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:51:43 -0400
>
>Tom Horsley wrote:
>> I'm already using as little of gnome as I possibly can, yet something
>> starts the damn gvfs daemon in the microscopic parts of gnome I am
>> forced to start to get any gtk app to work at all :-).
>
>OK, I finally took the time to discover a way to squash it utterly.
>I now have my system setup to run this script after ever yum
>update (so if it comes back, I'll squash it again):
>
>#!/bin/bash
>#
>if [ -f /usr/libexec/gvfs-fuse-daemon ]
>then
>   rm -f /usr/libexec/NOTgvfs-fuse-daemonNOT
>   mv /usr/libexec/gvfs-fuse-daemon /usr/libexec/NOTgvfs-fuse-daemonNOT
>fi
>
>By renaming the daemon that runs the fuse mount, it can't
>get it started.
>
>I haven't noticed a single thing that fails to function
>yet with it disabled like this.
>
>I can't just remove the package that provides the daemon because
>several things claim to depend on it, but despite that, they
>all seem to work fine without it running.
>
>My ~/.gvfs directory is now just a plain directory with no
>weird attributes to confuse the heck out of backup
>programs, etc.

Thank you very much.  Between that and a killall fuse, I can and have deleted
it.  Now we wait to see what fusses.

What gets me is that there is no starter code anyplace in /etc/rc* that starts
it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A man of genius makes no mistakes.
His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
		-- James Joyce, "Ulysses"