any thoughts on why cooling fan keeps spinning up and down?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:02:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Leslie Satenstein <
> leslie.satenstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>  My thoughts are that it is a physical problem, possibly clogged
>> processor cooling fins.  I once removed the heat sink (I DO NOT RECOMMEND
>> THIS), and reapplied new heat-conducting goo and reseated the heatsink.
>

> The same system does NOT exhibir the fan up-and-down when booted with XP64,
> but does with F11...
>
> I think it might be related to AMD´s Powernow (is it supported in Linux?)
> where the CPU adapts power consumption due to cpu load, and interaction with
> the BIOS.
>
> The Sun w1100z for instance once had a BIOS bug that made it loud during
> the whole boot process and the internal fans (not CPU fans but case fans)
> only slowed after WinXP fully booted.. A BIOS update from Sun Micro fixed
> it.
>
> So I´d GUESS there´s some relation between bios, temperature sensors (CPU
> and CASE internal temp sensors), and maybe AMD powernow - cpu load as well.
> It´d be interesting for me to know how the Linux kernel interacts with all
> this...

Shooting in the dark here... and this tech note doesn´t show any dates...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/powernow-notes.html

In any case, I see here
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/cpuspeed#Fedora11
that CPUspeed is included. I must check next time I boot the box if it´s
installed and enabled, and if there´s anything which can be tweaked.

FC