TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 7 03:17:56 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> William M. Quarles wrote:
>> The line "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" is a tweak that I have had to add
>> since Red Hat Linux 9 to get Maple 7 to work.
>
> That hack is no longer supported (and hasn't been since Fedora Core 5 (!)),
> thus your error. The purpose of that hack was to force glibc to use the old
> LinuxThreads implementation instead of the current NPTL (Native POSIX Thread
> Library) (which is normally fully backwards-compatible, but some
> applications relied on LinuxThreads bugs and thus needed that hack to work).
> But LinuxThreads was removed (completely) in Fedora Core 5, so the
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL hack cannot work anymore.

Where can I find more information on this LinuxThreads deal?

Also, I'd like to add, it is really sad in the sense of
backwards-compatibility when I'm having more luck running the Windows
version of Maple 7 under Wine than I am having trying to get it to work
in Fedora. I can't get the graphs to display using Wine, but at least it
does operations well enough.