any known working USB/serial converters?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jul 7 15:41:44 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>>   a while back, i was whining about the lack of functionality of a
>>> particular USB/serial converter:
>>>
>>> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-test-list/2009-05/msg00398.html
>>>
>>>   does anyone have such a converter that just plain works out of the
>>> box?  i'm more than happy to buy and try another brand if it's the
>>> prolific product that's causing the trouble.
>>>
>> The log shown there lists a Prolific pl2303 USB serial converter chip.
>> I've been using various converters based on those with Linux for several
>> years, and never had a problem. I use them at speeds up to 460800bps.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> yes, and in a low traffic situation, they will throw away the first byte of a
> packet about 10% of the time.  That is enough to make them  worthless for most
> apps.  Use FTDI stuff.

My experience is completely the opposite. I found the FTDI devices
useless. They keep hiccuping or locking up completely. I've used the
prolific devices in applications from intermittent bursts at 1200bps, to
endless streaming at 460800bps. I also use them in applications where
the adaptor is powering opto couplers, and the voltages end up way off.
I've never had problems.

Steve