VirtualBox problems

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:43:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 14:24 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 13:23 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> Do you mean that they do not appear in the list of USB devices at
> >> all, that they are grayed out, or that the OS in VertualBox does not
> >> see them?
> >
> > They appear (correctly) under the Settings dialoguem for filters, but
> > when the VM is running the and I hover on the USB icon in the lower
> > border, it says "no USB devices are connected".
> >
> > poc
> >
> This is probably a dumb question, but after plugging in the device,
> did you open Devices --> USB Devices from the top tool bar and check
> the check box for the device(s) you want the VM to use.

The device appears but is grayed out and not selectable. On removing the
device, it no longer appears. I also see my external USB hard drive,
which has no associated filter and is of course (correctly) also grayed
out and not selectable.

I'm leaning towards some mysterious permissions problem as being at the
root of this, but the help docs for VBox are not very helpful.

poc