Samba Issues [ALMOST SOLVED] still need help

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Tue Jul 7 20:29:23 UTC 2009

I think I have samba set up correctly to share a linux folder within a
windows WORKGROUP of PCs. The problem is selinux keeps denying access to
the share and tells me that I can fix the problem using

chcon -R -t samba_share_t 'myshare path'

HOWEVER, when I try it, I get the following error for each file in the
folder.

chcon: failed to change context of `some file name' to
`system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0': Operation not supported.

Google turned up others having this problem back in 2007. Some just gave
up and disabled selinux.  I don't want to do that.  Could the problem be
due to the ntfs file system on the shared folder? If I change it to ext
how does windows use it?

Mike