OT google chrome OS [was Re: Graphics card recommendation?]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 8 19:09:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   but what's their target market?  if you can install chrome on
> > any other distro (you can, right?), how exactly do they plan on
> > breaking into the market, unless they go hard at getting onto
> > netbooks?
>
> That's the only target they mention in their blog. They say they
> already have partners signed up to offer preinstalled chrome.

  just for fun, i decided to install the chromium browser on my f11
x86_64 system.  first, the prebuilt binaries are 32-bit only, so doing
a yum install would have dragged down dozens of megabytes of i586
packages with it.

  however, grabbing the src package and trying to build it also didn't
help, since the only supported arches in the spec file are ix86 and
arm.  unless i'm reading it incorrectly.  does an x86_64 build of
their browser exist for f11?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday